Archive for Well Digging SAGA
Is there a Conclusion on Digging a Water Well?
If you were reading my Garden Journal you know the end result of all of this digging has ended in an abysmal disaster because the well could not produce enough water that was needed to run my water to air heating and air conditioning system!
The well digging company did give us a partial refund but I really feel that we were entitled to the whole amount. It wasn’t our fault that they could not get the job done. We laid out a lot of money from start to finish.
First, had to hire a well inspector to find out just what had happened. Paid him about $150.00.
Second, contracted with well digging company who said this would be a piece of cake. Ha!
Third, had to pay the State $200.00 to even get permission to sink the well, takes two weeks for approval. You would think that a heating and a/c system would take precedence over a well for a sprinkler system.
Fourth, hired a contractor to take part of the fence and gate down so the truck would have access to the site. Then, of course, the fence and concrete portion of driveway had to be re-installed when the well was dug. Paid nearly $500.00 for that.
Fifth, paid for extra water to fill truck’s water tank on site due to the weight of the truck potentially causing damage to the very new driveway and sewage lines underneath.
Sixth, as stated above. Had to still pay $1,300 just to be told that my system could not be used because the well digging company could not get the water from the location we were allowed to dig in.
Seven, let me not forget to mention that a new compressor for $1,600 had been newly installed in our water to air heat system just this spring.
Eight, bought a new pump too.
The conclusion to all this time, over three months, and expense is that we have to install an Air to Air system. Which is not as energy efficient or economical as the system we had in this home for at least 25 or 30 years.
I just got a call from my Mechanical Guy and he said he would be starting the dismantle process tomorrow. Maybe we will finally see an end. Not exactly the one I wanted to see!
I found this title in a slide show program I use called Smilebox at www.smilebox.com.
I thought the title was humorous because we have had so many problems with trying to sink the water well for the heat and a/c system. At this point I think this summer has been more like Halloween!
The captions are a little small, hopefully, still legible.
|Make a Smilebox slideshow|
Here is another video I put together to show you what was going on while the team was sinking the well for our central a/c and heating system. The first well was sunk to about 120 feet but they could not find any water. Ooops! All the pipes had to come back out. They, then, moved the truck, ever so slightly and started again. We were told that the second well was down 27 feet and that they had found good water. This team then cleaned up and told us that the next crew, would be coming in three days to plumb everything to the pump. Woohoo.
Happiness was in the air until the crew came and told us the well was really only at 13 feet. Panic because we had, the contractor (who removed the fence) came back and put the fence back up. So, the only option for the men was to come back and sink the pipes deeper the old fashioned way, manually. We certainly didn’t want to take the fence down again!
The Water Well went Dry – Oh My Goodness!!
I have started this particular section of my blog with two previous posts from my Garden Journal. As this seems to be an on going saga. Let me recap just a little. I have a very old house (built in 1914) and have lived here for 12 years. The Hubs and I have done upgrades at every opportunity. This one just seems to take the cake!
We started on this trek about 3 months ago. Our existing heating and a/c system has been in the house for about 20 to 25 years. The system was at that point very top of the line!! Since we have lived here it has been a wonderful, energy efficient, economical system. I have loved it because even with a balloon structure home (no insulation between inside and outside walls) we have always had exceptional heating and air conditioning bills, compared to others around us. But, as you see with my previous Garden Journal posts. The water well finally went dry!
Before we realized that we had no water we had purchased two new pumps. (I will probably try to sell those locally, trying to recover anything I can.) Just this Spring we had to have a new compressor installed in the system because the old one died. Only problem was that they didn’t make them anymore and we had to have one built.
When we found out that we needed a new well, it was already two weeks. First called my trusty faithful Mechanical Guy, no dice…. he said no water was incoming. Then made a call to well digging folks. Another week goes by. Well checker guy comes and gives us the bad news. Next crew comes to give us estimates, prices and what will have to be done. Have to make a copy of plot. Have to send to the State (EPA/Health Dept, I guess) to get permission to put a new well. It, apparently, doesn’t matter that the existing well was here for so long! NEW rules!! This takes another two weeks because they are short handed due to cut backs in their budget. This, btw, cost another two hundred dollars!
Finally, we get permission to dig. Have to hire seperate contractor to take fence down and then, of course, put fence back up after job is done. Another $500.00 dollars.
Then the truck comes. We pay extra water charges to the city so we can have the truck come without water. Fill it up on site because the new driveway might bust from the weight of the truck. This is necessary because our main city sewage line lies just beneath the new driveway! Don’t want that sewage lines to break.
The truck has finally arrived and here is a clip of the progress. Then, this Saga will continue.